Thursday 17 May 2012

A Very British Affair

Oh my the excitement is building for us Brits this year, we are so excited to be celebrating the Queen's diamond jubilee and also to be hosting the Olympic Games, I thought this patriotic card would be perfect for such occasions. This card is also featured on the Penny Black blog here.


The Union Jack background was created by masking a piece of white card, applying Barn Door Distress ink and then over stamping with Fired Brick distress ink and 'Brick Wall' 40-137 - I chose bricks as the town I live in was known for making bricks years ago.  I then masked off again and applied Chipped Sapphire distress ink and again over stamped with 'Floral Thread' 40-135 - I chose this lace background as my godmother who lives near London makes her own lace!  How talented is that.

The bus from 'Love London' 30-093 was stamped onto a separate piece of card and coloured with Copics (the white banner is actually glittered although this doesn't show up too well in the photo).  This was then mounted onto the card with a wobble spring so that the bus looks like it is chugging away from the cat running to catch it.


When I was little I used to love travelling on the top, at the front of a double decker bus, I used to lean forward as it went down hill, giving the feeling it was going faster...little things like this used to amuse me so much!

Hope you are enjoying this week and all the inspiration the design team are bringing you.

Hugs Cathy
x

4 comments:

Annette Allen said...

what a fun card...LOVE the design...

Paula (PEP) said...

The texture of the bricks & the lacey structural pattern for the blue areas is brilliant & I love your reasons for using them too. The spring makes this absolutely hilarious. At first I kept wanting the bus to go faster so that cat wouldn't catch up with the mice but then realized one of the mice is egging him on & there's another cat already on board - they must be friends!
Paula (PEP)

Kay said...

Wonderful card, Cathy. Thank you for mentioning my lace. I feel this is my card, as my great-grandfather was a brickmaker, and I too loved being at the front on top of the bus.

Fi said...

Brill'! Just found this on Flickr. Great idea. :@)