Monday 14 January 2013

Inspired To Have A Go

A friend and I visit a little coffee shop in a garden centre and on several occasions my friend has admired a bronze etched picture hung on the wall, I took a picture so you could see it too!

Leaf Picture

It got me thinking, how easy or not .....would it be to try and recreate this style of picture and so I dug out my melt pot, several metallic colours of UTE (Ultra Thick Embossing Powder) , some acrylic paints and a small canvas.

Here is the end result

Melt Art Fern on Wall

To create the background I mixed various colours of UTE (sorry I just kept adding bits and can't remember exactly which colours) until I had a shade I was happy with.  I then poured the mix onto my canvas and used a heat gun to ensure that the surface was as even and level as possible.

I came across a bit of a dripping off the edge issue but I just heated the drips and scooped off with a spatula.

I then took my Breezy 40-111 cling stamp applied a generous amount of Versamark ink (this stops it sticking to the UTE, reheated the top of the canvas and stamped with a medium pressure.  Tip:- if the image doesn't come out as hoped you can just reheat and try again! I then left the stamp in place until the UTE has set and then removed the stamp. Tip:- If you accidentally get the outer edge of the rubber impress on the canvas carefully heat just that area to smooth away.

The impression that was left was then filled with a light green/blue mix of acrylic paint and when partially dry rubbed off with a damp cloth to create a weathered look. 

Here is a closer look at the project.

Close up of Melt Art Fern

It is not quite as polished as the original inspiration but as a first attempt I think it turned out ok, I shall wait to see what my friend thinks when I give it to her!

Hugs Cathy
x

8 comments:

Crafting Queen said...

Wonderful canvas!

CinnamonSally said...

Love your canvas Cathy, a great interpretation of the original.

kiwimeskreations said...

One word - awesome!! Love the result here Cathy.
Blessings
Maxine

alexandra s.m. said...

You are so talented Cathy...
it seems like everything you touch transforms itself into GOLD....or should i say...COPPER ...;o)

BravO!

annemarks said...

Such a great idea to use utee on canvass i think it looks great :)

Therese said...

This is so beautiful Cathy!

Kanan Pandya said...

This is so lovely Cathy. Great art and so creative. :-)

Greta said...

Oh my goodness--you're amazing, Cathy! I didn't know melted UTEE could be put on canvas. This is just wonderful!!