Do you ever do a batch of die cutting and then just sweep up the bits left over and throw them in the bin (trash) ? Well today I was playing with my lovely new Grand Caliber GC-001 (Thank you so so much Spellbinders) and ran the Adorning Squares S4-389 outer two dies through the machine to cut and emboss with a piece of purple card to see how they looked, I loved the intricate design that was cut out, but decided the left overs looked pretty cool too, so I decided to keep the bits and use them on a card and this is the result.
In addition to the Adorning Squares S4-389 I also used Spellbinders Grand Squares LF-126 to cut and emboss the purple card blank and the white mount and Spellbinders Circles Large S4-114 to stamp on.
After completing all the cutting here are the instructions:
1) layer white mount onto purple card and glue dot waste pieces in each corner.
2) Cover outer edge of square waste with Tim Holtz Salty Ocean Distress Ink and then apply a layer of Berry Twist Perfect pearls to give a blue pearlised effect. (Yep I know Berry Twist looks pink in the pot but this is how it looks when you add it to the card - weird!!!)
3) Mount onto white card and add swirl waste pieces to each corner (If you look at them closely they look like swirls with a little leaf poking out)
4) Mount cut out Adorning square design onto the card with foam pads.
5) Leave the Circle die in place and add Tim Holtz Bundled Sage Distress ink to the inside edges of the circle using a blending tool, stamp Penny Black's Kisses In The Sun 4306L stamp onto the card (with the die still in place using Versafine Onyx Black ink - by doing this you will have a nice crisp white border all the way around the circle).
6) Stamp the butterfly again onto scrap card. Colour all images using Tim Holtz Distress Markers - I used; Bundled Sage and Pine Needles for the leaves, Mustard Seed for the flower heads and Dusty Concord for the butterfly.
7) Add extra colour to the butterfly using Lilac Blue and Magenta Flame Cosmic Shimmer Acrylic Drawing inks. Cut out butterfly and mount over main image with dimensional glue.
8) Add Rock Candy Distress Stickles to the butterfly and Scattered Straw Distress Stickles to the flower heads to add dimension and finish off design.
Here is picture of some of the waste pieces, I can also the possibility of an exclamation mark in there!
Hope this encourages you to look at your die cut waste in a different way.